Renton Technical College will host the second annual regional Reading Apprenticeship conference, Metacognition and Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century on March 11 and 12, 2016. This is a great opportunity to learn how your fellow community college faculty and staff are using RA across their campuses!
Interested in presenting? Interested presenters are invited to submit a proposal for the March 12 concurrent sessions. For more information or to submit a proposal, go HERE.
In the meantime, mark your calendars for March 11-12, 2016! Many Pierce faculty attended this conference last year and found it to be a great experience.
Reading Apprenticeship at WestEd is a research-based framework that helps community college faculty members support students to become motivated, strategic, and critical readers, thinkers, and writers.
Colleges implementing Reading Apprenticeship find that it can produce a dramatic, positive transformation of students’ engagement and achievement not only in literacy, but also in learning across all academic disciplines.
Goals for Conference Attendees:
- Deepen your learning about how to engage students and colleagues in collaborative inquiry about their varied reading processes, fostering discipline-specific “metacognitive conversation” in classrooms and professional learning communities.
- Deepen their understanding of Reading Apprenticeship as an instructional framework and improve their skills for implementing the framework in classrooms and in professional development with colleagues.
- Learn how faculty across the disciplines make the complex, invisible processes they use as readers visible to students, helping them develop reading expertise in specific disciplines
- Learn to help other faculty make changes in their classroom practice, building on students’ strengths as readers and learners, and providing students greater access to text for learning in the content areas. This will result in increased student engagement and efficacy in reading.
- Network with your peers using Reading Apprenticeship.
- Practice some of the routines that move students into metacognitive conversations.
- Learn how to incorporate Reading Apprenticeship routines into lessons with disciplinary texts.